Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Home Improvements Day 10 -- Hell Has Left the Building

Progress report: The fugly paper has left the guest room to take up residence at the dump. Good riddance. The walls and the hole in the ceiling have been repaired.


Ok, I'm not the greatest spackeler there ever was. For what I'm going to do with it though, it should be fine.



At any rate, it beats a gaping hole by a long shot.



















Everything with two coats of primer.


















The destruction and prep phases are over so now it's on to the fun part. Last week while at the hardware store, I picked up some paint chips to think about color. Initially I decided on a neutral grey palate for accessory versatility. When I went back to buy the paint, of course I found some colors I liked much better than boring grey. That's one of the joys of creativity -- changing one's mind.
.
The only glaze Lowes had was quart sized and I need a gallon. There was no way I was going to buy 4 of those over-priced quarts so we drove 30 miles to Home Depot. It seems to me those guys have everything.

I did 2 test boards for the wall color and texture. Both of these boards were equally primed. The left side has a light base coat with a dark glaze over top. The right side has a dark base coat with a light glaze over top. The paint used was exactly the same for both. The color difference is astounding.



We chose pattern 2 for the walls which is 4 parts glaze to 1 part dark paint over a light background.

The ceiling can't be boring, so here's test board for that.

This is what the room looks like right now. I'm going back in there today to start the walls.

As you can see, the carpet pad is still on the floor. I'm still hoping the wood is good.

Anyway, this is the latest progress report. Things are looking up.

Part 1 Home Improvements
Part 2 Home Improvements
Part 3 Home Improvements -- Welcome to Hell
Part 5 Home Improvements -- Creative Issues
Part 6 Home Improvements -- Woe is the Floor
Part 7 Home Improvements -- Floor Update
Part 8 Home Improvements -- Finally Done

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a lot of work you've gotten accomplished in such a short time. I love the color and texture combinations. The pictures don't do them justice.